An engine thing

A place for everything else!
JT43

An engine thing

Postby JT43 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 pm

Right,
So because I like to know how things work I always see how things work and then do nothing about it. It just sits there in the back of my head. So instead of just learning how something works I thought I would try and design something, mainly because I find it interesting and I'm training to be an engineer. Anyway ill stop rambling on, here is my idea... Kind of

Right so what I was aiming to do is to make a more economic way of moving a car. I was in the bath when thinking about this so this was probably the main source of the idea but what I was thinking is:
Say on the cars axle on either the front or back(front would probably be easier) fit a chamber like device around the axle and fill it with about 3/4 with water.

On the axle there could be like a vertical windmill which when water is forced onto it, it turns and then this causes the axle to turn.

So the car wheels would be moving, purely from water. However, this is where I got a bit "stuck". I'm trying to think of something that could force the water into the chamber and make the axle turn. I was trying to think of an idea that didn't cause any pollution what so ever, but it's hard trying to do that. It would have to work quite quickly if you were to reach high speeds like 70mph.

But hey, I'm only 16, help me out guys :)

TwistMoto

Re: An engine thing

Postby TwistMoto » Fri May 31, 2013 1:54 pm

That is a pretty good question and thought process.
Personally I think batteries are going to be the best answer to this type of question. That is why we have all of these hybrid type vehicles floating around. The biggest thing I would think you would have to solve is your initial propulsion issue. Having axles turn from fluid would not solve any emission or pollution problems as you would have to have something to start the process.
If I were you, I would begin looking into batteries, electric motors, and renewable energy sources. KTM has created an electric dirtbike, that seems to have plenty of power and torque to make it something attainable one of these days, if you don't mind riding something that sounds like a remote control car lol.

JT43

Postby JT43 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:04 pm

Fuck electric bikes and fuck KTM, they're both gay. For many reasons. :D

Anyway, I adapted the idea a bit with my friend matt. Basically when you put your foot on the pedal in a car, more petrol flows, right? So what if more water was to flow, forcing the original water in the chamber to put pressure on the propellers on the axle, and then causing them to turn. And the more you put your foot down the more water is added.
I feel like I'm getting somewhere with this but then again, how would the water that was put into the chamber come back without using something that has been produced by/uses fossil fuels

TwistMoto

Postby TwistMoto » Fri May 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Very true, but you also have to remember weight, which would be a huge issue. I believe water weighs, like 8 pounds a gallon, or approximately something like that (too lazy to google it right now)... You would have to create a massive amount of pressure which would cause you to have a lot of water to create the pressures you would need lol. This in turn would make it very heavy. Also you would be relying on gravity for a lot of your pressure, unless you went back to some type of electric/gas motor.
Here's another thought: you could possibly use solar panels that tied into some type of heat pump and heat the water to 250 or 300 degrees. It would have to be in a sealed system, to withstand the pressure, but that might cause the pressure to rise high enough to circulate in and through the system. It would be kind of like the cooling system in a gas engine. ;)

JT43

Postby JT43 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Don't worry, I have an idea 8-)

Return to “Off Topic”